Diabetic patients can experience symptoms such as poor circulation and poor sensation in their feet. Simple problems such as an ingrown toenail or a cut can result in poor healing and other long-term complications.
Our podiatrists treats and prevents the ulcers of the foot including wound management. They can also offer corrective devices to aid the healing process, from insoles and shoes to custom diabetic walkers. They play an important role in maintaining the mobility of many elderly and disabled people.
Podiatry ensures the overall wellbeing of your feet. It is an important part of a multidisciplinary approach to manage and treat diabetes. Podiatrists diagnose and treat foot, ankle and lower leg disorders, including bone or joint disorders such as arthritis, and musculoskeletal injuries, skin and nail disorders, infections, sport injuries, toe deformities and pediatric problems.
- General podiatry medical foot care – care and cutting of toenails, removal of corns, debridement of hard skin (callosities).
- Nail disorders – it includes the ingrowing toenails (removal of ingrown toenail, education and advice on how to manage or prevent it) and any other nail abnormalities.
- Diabetic wound care and wound management – assessment and treatment for the diabetic ulcers (neuropathic or ischaemic), or lesions in addition to prevention.
- Orthotics/insoles – through a biomechanical assessment, we offer different types of insoles for different conditions, including diabetic off loading, children feet, heel pain, shin pain, plantar fasciitis, sports... Insoles include both off-the-shelf and custom-made.
- Diabetic shoe prescription, fitting – measurements taken to get the correct fit.
- Custom shoes – depending on the treatment plan, individual custom shoes can be made to treat a variety of foot problems.
- Foot skin infections – treatment and management of plantar warts, fungus, eczema and any other lower limb skin disorder.
- Paediatric Podiatry – assessment of children’s foot problems including flat feet, growing pain, leg length discrepancy, scoliosis, gait and postural analysis to ensure a healthy and proper growth.
- Sport Medicine- treatment of ankle sprains, tendons and joints problems and sports foot wear recommendations.
- Toe deformities- hammertoes or bunions, it includes the assessment and management by orthopaedic devices and recommendations for the prevention from deterioration.
- General foot care education